November 03, 2006

A knitting "snack"

I've been diligently working on both of my swap socks and some soakers. I am almost finished with the heel of one, and I'm very happy with how it is working out. It is always nice when what you see in your head actually works on your needles! No pictures now, but I'll have some when my partners have theirs socks. I did finish another soaker this week. I love playing around with fair isle patterns and variegated yarns, and I thought that this one came out really well. More Patons Classic Wool since it was close by when I needed it.

As for my knitting "snack".... I was tired of sock knitting for the day, and last weekend while shopping for some fabric for some Christmas gifts, B found this yarn that she loved, Caron Glimmer, a glittery chenille, in purple. She loves hats and has been trying to wear several hats that are too small, so I figured that his would make a nice hat for her. Since I only had 49 yards to work with, I used a circular cast on and arbitrarily cast on 9 stitches. I started increasing at regular intervals and worked from the top down to use every last inch of yarn. After weaving in the ends, I had two inches of yarn left at each tail! I think she looks pretty cute in her new hat, and I enjoyed my "snack" knitting. Now I can get back to my socks!

1 comment:

Deborah said...

Your soaker is great! Do you find you have problems with a lack of stretch in the fair isle area? I do. I'm weaving mine and perhaps I should just strand it?