September 05, 2007

Travel Sewing

We took a trip to visit family over the weekend, and I made these for the munchkins to take with us. It is a fairly long drive and they usually sleep for part of it. The last time they kept falling over in their carseats, so I made these a few hours before we left to help keep them propped up. I used some furry fleece that I got as a remnant from Joann's and just winged the pattern. I was thrilled that I made both of these for under a dollar! Both kiddos also need new bibs as their old ones are getting ratty looking. I was shocked at how expensive the ones in the store were the other day. And I am tired of pulling all of the velcro from the bibs off of the kids clothing when I do laundry. No matter how many times I close the tabs before the wash, they always come undone. So I made this bib with scraps for sherpa (brushed terry) and terry cloth sew onto a backing of flannel, all leftover from making diapers. I make wipes with the bigger scraps, but didn't know what to do with the smaller ones. I'm glad to have some ideas. I used some silver thread and decorative zig-zags to sew the pieces down, and made some bias tape from other scraps for the edging. I like the way it turned out, and so does B! And it is big enough to keep the yogurt off of her shirt at table level, which is her biggest problem!

5 comments:

Tracy Batchelder said...

Great job on sewing and using what you have on hand.

I still remember the time my mom made travel pillows for me and my two sisters right before one of our vacations. She sewed up small rectangles from some ticking she bought and used the feathers of an old pillow to for the filling. She also made pillow cases out of leftover fabric. We loved those little pillows and used them for years.

Theresa said...

Very creative! :o) I hope you had a nice family visit!

Lorraine said...

So clever! I always wanted neck rings like that for my kids but never had the gumption to actually make some myself.

Deborah said...

You are so darn creative . . . and energetic! I love those little boppy things you made and the bib is just too cute!

Donna B said...

What a beautiful bag down below....and I love those nice big bibs that actually cover something!