September 11, 2006

New Blog

Well I tried transferring my old blog to Blogger Beta and didn't like it at all, so I am starting over. I am up to the arm holes on my husband's sweater from Family Circle Easy Knitting, Fall 1999. It is an easy knit, but interesting too.

I took some pictures of how I hold my yarn for stranded or fair isle knitting. I hold the background color over my left index finger (I knit Continental), and wrap the pattern color in the opposite direction over the index finger. If there is a third color, I use my middle finger to carry it.

In the photos, the background color is charcoal, the pattern color is denim, and the third color is light grey. When I pick up the light grey, I go under both of the other strands. When working with two (or more) colors, it is important to be consistent when carrying the colors across the back. I always carry the background color over and the pattern color under. Both Ann Feiteleson and Alice Starmore discuss this in their respective Fair Isle books.

2 comments:

Deborah said...

Okay, this is great. Now how do you *easily* pick up either of the two colors over your first finger without getting it tangled up in the other? Is this a method you created or did you learn it elsewhere?

Cary ~ My Wool Mitten at Serenity Farms said...

Ohhh, Carissa, I love the colors in your sweater! Can't wait to see more! Hugs, Cary