May 10, 2007

Spring and Summer Sewing and Almond Blossoms

We are headed to Nashville for a few days tonight, and I wanted to sew a few things for the trip. So I got out the sewing machine yesterday and churned out a skirt and two dresses. This skirt is Simplicity 5956, and is cut on the bias. I have made a skirt or two from this pattern before, and I like the way if fits. The fabric is some that I found at Joann's on sale last year. This is some more Joann fabric. The flowers are actually more green than blue. The dresses were hard to photograph well. The pattern is Simplicity 5049, and it is an empire waisted, short-sleeved dress. I meant to make the V-neck higher, but it was late when I was cutting the pieces out, and I just forgot.
I have realized that I really like Kwik Sew patterns. They almost never go on sale, but they fit better (on me) than many of the other brands. This is another short-sleeved, empire waisted, v-neck dress (do you see a theme here?), Kwik Sew 3253. They are all knee length, and very comfortable. I don't like to wear shorts much during the summer, I'd much rather wear skirts and dresses since I think that they are more comfortable.
These are a few blossoms from the flowering almond tree in our front yard. This is one of my favorite ornamental trees, so imagine my delight when it started blooming in the middle of April. Our yard is now covered with pink petals, but the tree was gorgeous in full bloom!

7 comments:

Il grande chef said...

Your blog is very interesting!
Bye bye

Tracy Batchelder said...

Lovely skirt and dresses. I'm having a hard time finding dresses I like in my size. It may be time to use my sewing machine for more than making baby blankets.

Holly said...

I love, love, love your new things! So pretty and inspiring-I was all set to sew up some full pants, now I may just have to cut out another dress. I do have that navy floral rayon that's been languishing in the closet...

Melissa said...

Great job on the dresses and skirt Carissa! Really pretty. And those pink flowers are gorgeous. They kind of look like peonies.

Theresa said...

Gorgeous fabrics...we have the same taste! :o) If your dress is too low in the V-neck could you where a camisole or thin tank top under it? Lovely job...you inspire me!

Sande Francis said...

Hi, Carissa. What lovely new clothes! And I'm really impressed that you cut and sewed them all in one day! whew. I've moved my cutting table out onto the patio and it's where I dry my fleeces... The sewing machine and serger are blocked by 2 floor looms and I have not sewn myself any new clothes in ages. Long ages. :)

The closest I've come to sewing is to remove the elastic from the waistband of a pair of pant, intending to replace it and give the pants another few years wearability. I **HATE** to shop for clothes. But since I've turned my sewing room into the weaving studio I dont have a lot of choice any more. Heck, I haven't bought any new fabric in about 15 yrs! I'm a very large size and the regular pattern companies just dont make stuff that looks good to me or on me anymore. (sigh) Whew! What a long windy comment - when all I really wanted to say was that I hought your new dresses and skirt looked absolutely fabulous (what's with all the black, girl?) and that I'd rather wear shorts. (G)

sandeleh@sbcglobal.net

Anonymous said...

These dresses are fabulous, Carissa. I just love them.