August 09, 2007

Goldfinches and Zucchini

We don't have a very wildlife friendly yard, mostly because it is small and we are in a very heavily populated area. And this summer has been so hot and dry that we barely have any weeds growing. So imagine my surprise when I saw a pair of American Goldfinches foraging among my basil flowers. Here's a picture of papa goldfinch perching on the zinnias (they are drooping from the 100*+ heat we've been having) before joining mama on the basil. They were back again this morning. B especially likes to watch them. She informed us this morning that mama and papa cardinal didn't have enough room in their nest for them, so the goldfinches have their own nest! Oh the thoughts of 3-year-olds!
This picture is a few weeks old, but too good not to share! With all of the zucchini talk lately, I thought this was appropriate! They are both eating some zucchini picked straight from Grandma's garden. One of my friends shared a recipe for zucchini chocolate cake that I can hardly wait to try!

Another friend shared this recipe, which I also plan to try soon!

ZUCCHINI SALAD WITH RED ONION

1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon olive oil
coarse salt and ground pepper
1/2 small red onion, very thinly sliced
4 small zucchini

In a medium bowl, whisk the vinegar and oil; season with the salt and pepper. Stir in the onion and let stand 15 minutes. Meanwhile, using a vegetable peeler, slice the zucchini into paper-thin ribbons (lengthwise) Add to the bowl with the dressing and onions, add more salt and pepper if desired; toss to combine.

4 comments:

Tracy Batchelder said...

We aren't in a flyway so we don't get many different types of birds in our yard. Rarely do we see goldfinches. Love the picture of your kids eating zucchini right out of the garden.

Lorraine said...

We have a neighbor with oodles of bird feeders, so we're blessed to have many species of birds hanging out in our back yard.

The zucchini's are still coming out my ears. Oh my!

As far as my hat, I was hesitant to use Morning Glory because of the glorious project you're planning. But it does sound more sophisticated than Petunia.

Theresa said...

I have never lived anywhere where there are cardinals and never seen one. That would be neat. I was surprised this year to see Western Goldfinch. My stepDad feeds all the birds and they have those and many others. But I had never seen them here. We put up two feeders this year, one a general and one for the goldfinches. They like those black thistle seeds, Niger seeds or the spelling might be wrong on that. It's fairly inexpensive at Walmart. My D especially enjoys watching them. I did not put up any boxes/houses for them to nest because we have a lot of feral cats and I didn't think that would be fair to the birds! :o)

Tami said...

Thank you so much for posting the Chocolate Zucchini cake recipe. I grated and froze a bunch of zucchini last weekend, just for this purpose. Blessings and thanks, Tami