August 08, 2007

Sockapalooza Socks and Some Sewing

The past week and a half has been all about sewing and socks. I took a few days last week during the kids' afternoon nap to work on the Roman shades that I've been wanting to make for a few months. Our bedroom had no blinds or shades of any kind when we moved in, so we had an old sheet tacked over the windows for privacy. It was less than attractive! So I found a great deal on some silk dupioni fabric in a nice grey that matches part of our comforter. It took less than 10 hours, so I don't know why I waited so long! And they are self-locking, so no nasty cleat in the wall either! Sorry for the picture quality, it was the best I could do. There are two shades, one for each window. I wanted to make a little bag for my Sockapalooza pal, but knew that I didn't have time to knit or crochet one, so I found some nice fabric, and sewed up this little drawstring bag. It is a lot like a brown paper bag in shape, with a ribbon tie. I used some decorative stitching for the ribbon casing, but forgot to take a picture of that. I have a few more bags planned, so I'll take pictures then.
Here are the socks that I knit for my pal. I was not thrilled with the pooling/striping, but I tried several patterns, and they all had some striping. This is the second pattern that I came up with. I ripped the first sock just before the toe because I was afraid that it would be too snug. It is my first time trying a short-row toe, and it has a short-row heel too, which is my preferred heel style. I like this pattern, so will need to try it in a more solid yarn to show off the stitch pattern better. I used some Knitpicks Memories in Yukon, and it was easy to knit with, and stood up to my frogging well, especially for being merino.
And this is one of my pair of socks from my Sockapalooza pal Rachel, knit in Cherry Tree Hill Supersock in Jewel. They fit great, and I love the shorter cuff! I've never used this yarn before, so that was a really nice treat! She modified the Cabled Sweatsocks from the Interweave Socks book.
I also had a picture of the American Goldfinches that were visiting my basil plants yesterday, but I can't get it to crop properly. It was one of those times that I really wished that I had a better camera with a higher zoom. Oh well! I'll try to get it resized again later. Now I can get back to all of the other knitting and spinning that I have planned!

5 comments:

Holly said...

Hmmm. I can't see the socks you knit for your pal-just a big blank space. I like your bag, though!

david santos said...

Great work! Thank you

Tracy Batchelder said...

The Roman shades look good. I'm sure you're glad to be rid of the sheet.

My favorite heel and toe are also short-row. Nice work!

Lorraine said...

No wonder you've been MIA for a few days. Great shades. I've got supplies for some Roman shades but never got around to making them either. Are they intimidating, or what?

Theresa said...

I can't believe I missed all these posts on your blog! Love the socks. I have three skeins of that Yukon and was thinking of doing an EZ baby surprise jacket with it. It looks nice in the sock. I'm not sure which part you didn't like in it. I would like to know your short row heel method as the one I tried didn't look very nice...I think it was Wendy's pattern but it was shaped funny and didn't look like it would any living person's heel! LOL I also did not care so much for the short row toe. It was fine, really was no easier than the other method. Your bag is cute and I'm sure your pal will love it. Love the Roman shades!