July 13, 2007

Shawl Yarn and Knitted Dollies

These are my sample skeins of my Journey to a Shawl yarn. It is grey Cormo cross wool blended with green, blue, and purple silk and angora. It spun into a great laceweight yarn, but I liked the fingering weight better because it showed the colors better, even though you can't see that too well in the picture. I finished dyeing the rest of my silk and angora today, and need to dye some more for another shawl. I am sort of in between big projects at the moment, so after seeing a knitted fish here, I was inspired. I will make the fish one day, but for now I decided to make some knitted dolls from a free pattern that is no longer available. Here is my first attempt, which I think looks like she is wearing a clown wig! I think that the fur stitch would look better in a firmer yarn, but I was using up some leftovers. I made up the clothing patterns on my own, but there is room for improvement!
This is my second dolly. I like her so much better! She has strands of yarn individually tied onto her head, and I like that much better. Although if I do this style again, I'll make the head underneath the same color as the hair so that you can't see her "scalp" so obviously! I used some leftover brown wool, and I think fingering/lace weight wool would make the best hair since it is finer and wouldn't be too full if I applied it to the whole head. She has a dress that matches Miss Peach's watermelon dress. I tweaked the basic doll pattern a bit more to my liking, and I think that there's still room for improvement. I may just start from scratch! I'm currently working on some shoes for her too. This kind of knitting is fast, easy, and fun!

8 comments:

Woven Spun said...

I love those dolls. Just too cute.

Melissa said...

Those are adorable! You are so smart ;o)

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're able to post photos again. Happy birthday to Miss Peach! The dolls are adorable, especially the one with the watermelon dress. How cute is that?

The photos of the kids picking berries brought back memories of my kids picking berries and the younger ones sometimes eating as much as they could while picking. *G*

Tracy Batchelder said...

The sample skeins turned out nicely.

The dolls are adorable! I like the hair on both of them. The curly top makes me smile.

Anonymous said...

Oh those are adorable! Great job putting them together - what a great project to stash bust too!

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love your dolls - they're so cute and adorable, and those happy faces are just the best!

Anne K. said...

Love, love, love the dollies - both of them! Good tip on the "scalp" yarn color - I will definitely put these on my list to try, although I doubt mine will be nearly as cute as yours!! Thanks for sharing!

Can you tell I just discovered your blog and am really enjoying it? I found you through Tracy's blog.

Anonymous said...

Your dolls are the cutest things! I love them.