April 16, 2007

Maple Garland is Finished!!!!!

My Maple Garland shawl is finally finished!!!!!!! I thought this day would never come. I spent about a month on it before taking an extended break from it. It got packed away during the move, and resurfaced while unpacking here. When I picked it up again, I started just after the first row of leaves. Here is the shawl after the final row, before the edging.

I have worked solely on this for the past two months, and I only had 62 of the 220 rows left. I knit at least 2 rows per day. The edging took about 2 days. While using my great-grandmother's steel crochet hook for the edging, I was reminded of how much I dislike Boye hooks and needles. The hook is just too shallow to get a good grip on the yarn, and my yarn had a tendency to split, which made for slow going. I had my husband do some advanced mathematical calculations for me the other evening, and he concluded that there are over 100,000 stitches in this shawl! Here is my unblocked picture. I am getting ready to block it now, and should have some good pictures of it tomorrow!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh that looks so pretty!! I can't wait to see it all blocked up! I haven't yet done a shawl, but I really like that one more than some I've seen. Nice job!