April 24, 2007

Some Sock Spinning

After finishing my Maple Garland Shawl last week, I decided to do some spinning. These are some luxury sock batts from Abby at Franquemont Fibers. They were very easy and a joy to spin. The batts are 68% superwash merino, 30% silk, and 2% firestar. The sparkle is very hard to photograph, but it is subtle.

I spun a fairly fine single and then chain-plied the singles to preserve the three color gradations. The color is called Orchid, but I think it looks like a sunrise, with the blue/purple, red/purple, and the yellow/pink. I ended up with 212 yards and 2.5 oz. three-ply yarn. I need to find/dye a complimentary colored fiber to spin for some heels and/or toes. I really prefer ankle socks, so I can get by with a little less yarn that average. And I will knit these toe-up to make the best use of the yarn that I have. This will probably be my project for our trip to Nashville for graduation in the beginning of May.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Nice spinning! Those would look nice with a black or charcoal toe and heel ;o)

Theresa said...

Ooh pretty! :o)

Holly said...

Wow! Those look amazing. You did great!

Tracy Batchelder said...

Beautiful. One day I'll spin well enough to make sock yarn. I don't feel my spinning is consistent enough yet.